Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
The Last Station – I had been wanting to see this film (d. Michael Hoffman), hearing one commentator go so far as to describe the movie as the best of 2009. There’s nothing particularly wrong with this tale of the last days of Russia’s Czarist-era and civil patron saint, writer Leo Tolstoy, played well by Christopher Plummer. Helen Mirren puts in a good performance as Tolstoy’s rather dismissed wife Sofya. There is also Paul Giamatti (a personal fave) as Vladimir Chertkov, guardian of Tolstoy’s organization known as the Tolstoyans and enemy of Sofya......But rather than the movie built around Tolstoy, as one might expect, it really circulates around James McAvoy’s character Valentin Bulgakov, a young Tolstoy secretary, and his seduction by free-love advocate Masha (Kerry Condon).....The film is nowhere as dramatic or multi-dimensional as I’d been led to believe, nor quite as funny. But it works as a straight ahead period piece and will appeal to those who like standard Merchant-Ivory fair or who are devotees of History Television.
Friday, September 17, 2010
* Canadian Malin Akerman delivers on red carpet
Leave it to a Toronto-bred star to bring some much-needed glamour to the Toronto International Film Festival red carpet.
* TIFF’s hottest couples includes a bromance
Love (or in Josh Brolin’s case, smoke – read on for more) is in the air at the 35th annual Film Fest. The GGP counts down TIFF’s hottest twosomes so far.
* Gemma Arterton’s ‘ugly duckling’ spreads her wings
It’s nearly impossible to imagine Gemma Arterton as a gawky and unattractive youth, ignored and taunted by boys.
* Where’s the glamour at Hollywood North?
If you’ve been following the red carpet, you may be wondering if this year’s festival has been dubbed the Toronto International Dull Fashion Festival.
* Autograph hounds share tweets on getting the ink
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
* The "Tamara Drewe" actress trades in her little black dress for a jumper. It's refreshing to see an actress that's not in a gown for once. Jumpers can be hard to pull off but Gemma has the look down pat with a matching wide belt, an embellishment at the top and a wider leg. It definitely makes a statement. September 12, 2010: Gemma Arterton at the TIFF premiere of 'Tamara Drewe' in Toronto, Canada.
* Did Nelly get entangled in some fishing net on the way to the TIFF peremiere of "Score: A Hockey Musical"?
* Kidman ‘very nervous’ about new film
* Winona Ryder ? There She Is!
* Fans swarm Natalie Portman on the red carpet
* Keanu Reeves doesn’t disappoint at TIFF
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Tuesday, September 7, 2010