Monday, February 22, 2010

The Hurt Locker will take Best Picture


Finally saw The Hurt Locker. It’s the best H’wood film I’ve seen in awhile. By best I mean intense, riveting, suspenseful, terrific acting and ultra realism. It’s been awhile since I have watched a film – any film – that has glued me to the screen like this one did. But it’s been even longer for an American film. European films, that’s another matter. It’s one of the reasons I go to film festivals. I want to see terrific movies. I want movies that spellbind me. I want movies where, when they come to an end, I haven’t realized two and a half hours have passed. I want to be sucked into the vortex of a picture. The Hurt Locker does that. I have seen perhaps better dramatic pieces and better overall films. But I’ll give The Hurt Locker kudos for moving me far in that direction. The movie of course is nominated for nine Oscars, has won 19 Best Picture awards from other groups and 22 Best Director awards for Bigelow. It has made 260 critics’ Top Ten lists. Jeremy Renner as Staff Sgt William James has won six Best Actor awards. My prediction: The Hurt Locker will take Best Picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment