Friday, October 11, 2013

What interests me is the director

I was a little taken aback last week when I saw that the film Enough Said was opening in Windsor. Not just that it was opening here – what, an Indie film showing at a multiplex!? -  but there was an actual display ad or as we used to say in the newspaper trade an “ad slick” or completed ad ready for paste-up. (I’m showing my age.) How, I wondered, could this be? This is a film, after all, by one of the rising stars of independent cinema Nicole Holofcener – and one of my current faves - who made films like Please Give (2010) and Friends with Money (2006) (Aug. 12 post). Both are sweet send-ups – with some serious notes - of BoBo (Bourgeois Bohemian) New York and LA culture. But then it dawned on me - duh! – that the major character in Enough Said is James Gandolfini, late (in both ways) of The Sopranos. So, for marketing purposes, forget this great top-of-her-game director, it’s all about Tony. Nevertheless I will be seeing the movie tonight and Tony will only be an incidental reason.
I came across an interesting article in the National Post yesterday about a new study on Canadian film credits and how they don’t benefit the economy. It’s at http://opinion.financialpost.com/2013/10/09/william-watson-save-470-million-today/

No comments:

Post a Comment