Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My "maybe" festival films


And finally here are among the films I might attend at next week's Windsor International Film Festival, depending on anything from a friend's desire to see it, audience buzz, or the fact I have an open slot between other films:

Gabrielle – I know this is the opening night movie but the topic doesn't especially grab me though it does come from the folks who made Incendies and Monsieur LazharDetroit Unleaded – anything about Detroit can be interesting but I'm ambivalent about a picture of a couple of guys running a gas station no matter how much their personalities clash; Wadjda – I know this is an acclaimed movie and breakthrough for oppressed Saudi women but at first glance the story of a 10-year-old seeking the right to ride a bicycle in this gruesome patriarchal world – symbolic and real as it is – leaves me but half-interested; 15 Reasons to Live – this seems Woody Allen-like, which is good, and has episodic chapters on different reasons life is worth living, so it’s philosophical. Maybe this is more interesting than I first thought. Finding Vivian Maier – because I don’t know anything about this obscure but newly discovered great photographer and therefore I'm reluctant to see it simply because of her obscurity. Then again discovering someone great and a topic that “pushes us to ask as many questions about ourselves” is always intriguing; Kill Your Darlings – a film about the early Beat movement should be a dead ringer but I’ve been disappointed in recent period biopics because they don't depict the eras well enough; The Summit – a movie about scaling the second highest peak looks suspenseful enough, it’s just that I’ve seen and read quite a bit about scaling the highest peak, but still might have its moments…

Tickets are now available through the film festival website at www.windsorfilmfestival.com and at the Capitol Theatre box office.

No comments:

Post a Comment