Friday, June 18, 2010

Go get 'em Joan!

Dying to see Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work (at the Maple). I've always admired Joan. She's kind of like the little engine that could. And of course this is what this documentary is all about. Or what Winston Churchill said "Don't ever, ever, ever, give up".....The film documents Joan trying to "reinvent" herself in a "ruthless entertainment industry" and is about "the ultimate vulnerability of the life of a performer" .....Why do I like Joan? Because she's stylish and has searing opinions on fashion, dissing appropriately what passes for glamour and personality in today's Hollywood and entertainment industry. She's also got a great sense of humour and, well, she looks fabulous. Here's to plastic surgery!.....The directing crew seems a bit odd for this subject but maybe it’s just me stereotyping. Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg have a portfolio of films about some heavy topics - and I mean heavy - like The Devil Came on Horseback (2007) about the genocide in Darfur, and The End of America (2008) with rabid leftie Naomi Wolf comparing post 9/11 America to fascist regimes like Mussolini's and Hitler's. They’re currently in post-production on Burma Soldier about a former Burmese junta member who risks all to become a pro-democracy activist.....But maybe Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work is also their way of critiquing if not assailing the entertainment industry for being some type of immoral big business, which I guess we kind of knew......In any case, can't wait to see it.....

1 comment:

  1. As far as movies go this one was off the charts. I never expected to be as entertained as I was by a documentary, or as enlightened as I was by Joan Rivers. I learned a lot about showbiz, celebrity, and even a few things about myself watching this movie. Worth the trip to the theatre for sure.

    ReplyDelete