Thursday, October 10, 2024

Off to see some movies, old chap!

I’m headed to the London Film Festival - London, England, that is. I missed it last year when spending a couple of months in the British capital, unaware it was on at the same time and most of the screenings sold out. But something peculiar happened this year. The film festival emailed me and offered media credentials. I couldn’t believe it. How come? I did mention the fest in my blog last year so maybe the British Film Institute (BFI), which hosts it, scraped all – and I mean all – internet coverage and put me on their invite list. Even at that I didn’t necessarily expect to get accredited. But I applied - what the hell? - and within 48 hours got approved! Unlike other festivals where I’ve received credentials, I had to pay a little upfront - $166 Can. I guess this is to root out unserious applicants. This entitled me to a pass to all press screenings held mornings to mid-afternoons. It also allows me access to public screenings the rest of the day, but I must apply separately for each one, something I haven’t done yet as there is a calendar window so don’t know how easy it is. I can also pay for screenings like the rest of the public and get a discount with a special code. I purchased one ticket (just in case) to Manji, Japanese director Yasuzo Masumura’s “sexploitation classic of obsessive desire.” Other films I’m interested in seeing are We Live in Time, John Crowley’s romantic drama with Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield, Blitz, Steve McQueen’s take on British life during WW II starring Saoirse Ronan and Paul Weller, and Conclave (Edward Berger) starring a staller cast of Ralph Fiennes, Stanley Tucci, John Lithgow and Isabella Rossellini (photo) - intrigue at the Vatican in the selection of a pope. Festival guests this year include Brit icon Mike Leigh, Canadian Denis Villeneuve and the aforementioned Steve McQueen.  Press screenings are at the Picturehouse Central, one block from Piccadilly Circus and immediately accessible when I arrive Tuesday morning on the Tube straight from Heathrow Airport on the – appropriately named - Piccadilly Line. Many are concentrated at the outstanding BFI Southbank complex and others scattered throughout central London. Cheerio, old chap – let’s go see some movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment