Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Film clips: From baby strollers to Tom Cruise

Two movies have been preoccupying my mind of late. One of them is Barbie and the other Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One. I have no interest in Barbie dolls (honestly) but there’s something about this movie that’s captivating. Maybe it’s the fact it’s awash in pink. Maybe – surprise – it’s because one of my favourite  and edgy contemporary actors Greta Gerwig directs. I don’t plan to see it. But I have a few questions. It seems that the whole concept of Barbie has been resurrected as a politically correct image of feminism. I almost have to choke. Wasn’t this the doll that, for decades, feminists told us – or females anyway – to hate simply because of the doll’s phony and unachievable female look and superficial symbolism? And Gerwig, liberal as she is, directing it! But of course, “Barbie” has been reborn as Power Barbie, businesswoman, adventurer, a woman – er, doll - that can do everything!

Now for Mission Impossible. As a kid I loved the TV show. But as an adult never cottoned on to the movies, largely because I’m a snobbish anti-action movie fan. And Tom Cruise never particularly set my heart, or mind, on fire. But there’s something about this edition of the series that rings special – primarily it’s over the top stunts which of course Cruise performs himself. Hey, if I go to see OO7 movies I can go and see this. For the stunt on a motorbike off a cliff in Norway alone Cruise did more than 13,000 training jumps and 500 skydives. And then there’s the frantic scene atop the Orient Express. I’m all in. In fact, I may just book a seat at the IMAX screening. 

Recently at Cineplex I saw a poster for Stars and Strollers, Bring Naptime to Showtime (photo), showing a pic of a mother and her baby. The slogan: “No sitter? No problem. Enjoy new releases in a baby-friendly theatre!” The special cinema has reduced volume, soft lighting, even changing tables & bottle warmers, just for moms and babies. I’m trying to get an interview with Cineplex for my associated website WindsorOntarioNews.com. This is fascinating and innovative – creating a theatre space for an otherwise neglected sub-market of young moms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment