Monday, March 15, 2021

It's that severe black chin wave cut


 Constantly disappointed by Netflix offerings – I know I know – I did discover - surprisingly - that Netflix offers back episodes of Rod Serling’s famed 1960s TV series The Twilight Zone. I almost fell out of my chair.....Also on Netflix I started watching a British TV series Behind her Eyes which is a good psychological drama of a threesome set in contemporary London. The only problem is that the creator (Steve Lightfoot) had to fit the story into the full six
episodes. In doing so dragged it out incrementally into a slogging bore. I stopped watching after episode four. But speaking at that series the woman who plays the wife Adele (Eve Hewson, top photo) bares an uncanny resemblance to another woman in a movie I watched yesterday, Diane Baker (bottom photo) in Hitchcock’s 1964 Marnie (TCM). She also had that jet black severely cut chin hair wave and that malevolent “behind her eyes” look. In Marnie Baker plays Lil, Mark's (Sean Connery) former sister-in-law who has designs on the spendthrift entrepreneur but daggers for his new wife Marnie (Tippi Hedren)…..I’ve taken a pass on the HBO series Allen vs Farrow, a reportedly harrowing account of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow’s relationship and Allen’s alleged sexual abuse of adopted daughter Dylan. It’s a one-sided doc told from Dylan and Farrow’s POV. Those who’ve seen it say it’s totally convincing and you’ll never watch an Allen film or think of him again in the same way.  A few months ago I read his memoir Apropos of Nothing (the title isn’t about the controversy) in which he contributes about 75 pages to the allegation and his highly controversial love affair and marriage to Farrow’s other adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn. And I thought that was the final word on the matter. But no. The HBO doc is one-sided since Allen didn’t participate and he has denounced it as full of fabrications. Ok, I realize the book is also one-sided and I remain to be convinced otherwise. But, as with virtually all highly controversial and charged subjects of this nature, I come down on the side of the law. And two investigations found Allen not to be at fault……And, yes, speaking of Woody, I can see where his humor comes from, at least in part. In his book he talks of how Bob Hope was such an influence. I watched two Hope films yesterday - My Favorite Brunette (Elliott Nugent, 1947) and The Iron Petticoat (Ralph Thomas, 1956) and I see the same type of witty zingers. Told he has an old face Hope's character replies "It comes with the body, it's a set," and facing the gas chamber, "This is the worst last meal I've had"..... Interesting, I subscribe to the remarkable Criterion Channel but I find myself more inclined to watch TCM. And the only thing I can conclude from that is that TCM dictates a schedule. Criterion allows me freedom to choose. Obviously I can’t handle the freedom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment